If you ask any Project Manager (PM) about the tasks they performed when they are managing a project, you will find out that the current Project Management Professional (PMP®) exam content does not cover all the tasks today's PMs performs! Currently PMs are performing more tasks, as well as they need to have more knowledge and skills required to perform those tasks competently. As stated in the PMI's mandate, the PMP exam should validate project manger's competence to perform in the role of a project manager, leading and directing projects and teams. Every couple of years, PMI conducts a study through Professional Examination Services, independent entity to understand current project management trends to stay current. As a result of the latest study, PMI has decided to update the exam content.
Let's talk about what has been changed or not:
- Tasks within each domain have been slightly modified, some new tasks added (8), some modified and a few tasks removed.
- The five domains of practice for PMP remain the same as the exam content outline published in 2011.
- PMBOK Guide 5th Edition published in 2013 remains the same as a guide book for the project management practitioners.
- Cross-cutting and domain related knowledge and skills updated; total 42 new knowledge and skills introduced.
So, if you are planning to write the PMP exam this year, couple of dates you should know:
- The PMP Exam Content Outline, dated June 2015 is now final and those planning to write the PMP exam after January 11, 2016 should refer to the updated version.
- Last day to write the exam under current version of PMP exam: January 11, 2016.
- First day to write the exam under new version of PMP exam: January 12, 2016.
There is no pilot period with a rebate offered for the new PMP exam change.
At this time, there are no other changes made to the PMP exam eligibility requirements, the process to apply for the exam or the scoring method.
There is also no mandatory requirement to take another prep course; however, we recommend exam takers compare the training outline with the new PMP Exam Content Outline to decide if additional training is necessary.
Please check our course calendar for dates and times for the courses available in your region. For more information on what is changing, contact me at Christine@wareness.com.